Race for the Cure
Komen Charlotte’s Race for the Cure celebrates its 20th anniversary Saturday October 1st in Marshall Park. An annual celebration of survival and hope, the event is also the prime fundraiser for the local nonprofit that serves thousands of breast cancer patients in the Charlotte area. Organizers hope this year’s event will recoup the fundraising deficit brought on after dangerous weather forced the cancellation of last year’s race. Shutting down the event was historic, a first for Komen Charlotte.
“Anytime you cancel an event you hurt your day of giving, it’s non-existent,” said Amanda Meyers, Director of Marketing and Communication. “It’s a bucket of funds that we lost on the weather alone. We are looking to have great weather and get those numbers back on track.”
The cancellation of the event slowed individual donations, even though the sponsor support remained strong. Organizers are hoping to raise $1.2 million with this year’s race. While Komen’s Race for the Cure is known nationwide, all of the money raised by Komen Charlotte stays its 13-county service area helping with education, research and support for patients and families who are undergoing treatment.
“It’s not just giving the money to somebody, it’s enabling the fight against this horrible disease,” said Meyers
In its 20-year history, the race has become an October staple in the Charlotte community and in the fight against breast cancer. The growth is part of its success story. When the race started in 1996, Komen Charlotte drove participation by publishing a community note in the newspaper asking for people to join. That year 2,300 people participated. This year, Komen Charlotte is expecting nearly 20,000 people, including 800 survivors. It’s now the largest 5K in the state.
“You take people’s breast cancer as an emotional thing; it’s fill with highs and lows. What’s so special about this event is that it’s a culmination and one time a year that people can celebrate life and the wins they’ve had against this disease and fight back.”
What Can You Do to Help?
Komen Charlotte is a pivotal component to fighting breast cancer in our area. Small donations go a long way.
- $25 buys breast education materials for 50 people
- $50 pays for transportation to get a patient to a treatment center
- $150 buys compression garments, bandages and wraps for patients recovering from treatment
- $200 buys a screening and diagnostic mammogram for someone who may not afford it
- $430 pays for one session of Lymphedema therapy to help cancer patients manage pain and find comfort
Take less than a minute to show your support by Downloading and Donating through uBack. Donate any amount through the convenience of your smartphone. Here’s how:
• Download uBack in the App Store or in Google Play
• Search for “Komen Charlotte” in the charity list
• Choose Donation Amount
• Enter “South Charlotte” in the
If you prefer to donate via web, navigate to link listed in the uBack ad (Page 5)!
Check out next’s month column where we will highlight the Cam Newton Foundation and be “Inspired by the Community”. If you know of an organization who could benefit from uBack, email support@UbackForGood.com.
The International House 28th Annual Benefit Gala will be held on Saturday, October 15, at Hilton Charlotte Center City. This event, Bella ITALIA, is an elegant and much anticipated evening where guests will enjoy an evening of cocktails, fine cuisine, entertainment, dancing, and silent and live auctions along with other high-profile members of Charlotte’s philanthropic and corporate community. All proceeds from the event will support and strengthen important services for Charlotte’s immigrants and globally-minded residents, including educational, legal and international exchange programs. For more information, go to IHCLT.org.
Opera Carolina gets (even more) social for 2016/17
For the second consecutive year, Opera Carolina is inviting select local social media influencers to attend the final dress rehearsal of each mainstage production and share their insights with friends and followers. Last year, the “Tweet Seats” program offered complimentary seats primarily to active Twitter users in exchange for their honest commentary about their opera experience.
This year, the program has been expanded to include influencers on all social media platforms. Rebranded as Tweet Seats (& Beyond), the group now incorporates art and pop culture writers active on Twitter, Instagram, blogs, Snapchat, Facebook and more.
Participants share their opera experience live from reserved seats. The program, which lets Tweet Seat & Beyond participants sit in a special section in the mezzanine for each opera, is limited to 20 people. Interested social media users can apply before October 1, 2016. All that is required is apublic profile on your social media channel of choice.
“Social media is an important part of Opera Carolina’s focus on audience and community building. As greater Charlotte gets more and more plugged in, online and tuned in, the Tweet Seats & Beyond idea helps us reach long time opera enthusiasts, newcomers and the artistically curious in an immediate and fun way. Last year’s response was great and we’re looking for more buzz and enthusiasm around Opera performances than ever before,” said Opera Maestro James Meena.