Charlotte’s always been a stylish city, but recent years have gifted us with a proliferation of young, innovative clothing designers. We asked two of these fashionistas to share a few favorites from their upcoming collections. Ladies, here’s your sneak peek at style greatness.
Cut From The Same Cloth
Cut From The Same Cloth was born in 2011 when founder Remesi rekindled her love affair with sewing. What started out as a custom private client line evolved into a collection of ready-to-wear womenswear. Part of what sets Cut From The Same Cloth apart is their dedication to responsibly sourced materials and ethical practices. Their collections are produced in their Concord, North Carolina studio from concept to final product. Remesi’s called Charlotte home since 1994; the city is part of her very fabric.
1. “My inspiration for this collection was based on the writings of Edgar Allen Poe and musical influences that meant something to me circa 1990’s. I incorporated Victorian elements, like in the Palmira Top, but gave them a more updated feel by using modern elements, like the faux fur trim used in the Birds Of A Feather Top.”
2. “Velvet was a huge player for AW16. I used it in both the Tell Tale Heart Dress and Annabell Overall. Both are great staples for special occasions or a night out.”
3. “The Birds of a Feather Coat was one of the main items that really pulled the collection together. I especially love how the faux fur is representative of feathers.”
Aubrey Busek grew up in Winston-Salem and originally pursued a career as a professional ballet dancer, a history that still influences her designs today. After discovering her talent for creating clothing, Busek attended SCAD Atlanta and founded her namesake brand upon completion of her degree. The quintessential Aubrey Busek style is very feminine, but strong and rich in detail. Busek uses natural fibers, an array of different textiles, and couture-like sewing details. Many garments employ a variety of hand stitching detail, embroidery and beading, investing them with a custom feel and luxury quality.
1. “My custom print makes such a graphic statement, and it is very whimsical, so you could pair this blouse with a simple pencil skirt or pant and still have a statement outcome. ”
2. “I love the kimono sleeve silhouette because it is slouchy and comfortable, but immediately evokes boudoir elegance.”
3. “The bows on the sleeves are very much a signature of my style (I love feminine details), but because these are grosgrain ribbon, it gives a more structured look that I adore.”