It’s a common malady that starts small. First you put your golf clubs in the corner; next, your power tools take over a dusty shelving unit; then boxes of Christmas decorations find a cobwebbed home on the slick floors. Before you know it, the battle has been lost, and your garage has become a storage unit.
It can happen to the most organized and cleanly homeowner; knick-knacks turn to clutter turn to a hoard in the oft-unused extra space of a garage. The well-intentioned storage space quickly escalates into an unmanageable situation. But it doesn’t have to be that way. The garage door experts at ASSA ABLOY lend us their fool-proof system for taking back your garage—and even turning it into something more.
- Step One: If you’ve got clutter, take it out of that environment. Once you’ve removed everything from your garage, you’ll have a better idea of what you’re actually dealing with and remember all the things you shoved in the corner last winter.
- Step Two: Do a cleanse. Now that you can see everything, it’s easy to separate your belongings into three categories: junk, donate, keep. Purge the stuff that’s irrelevant or of no value (think outdated appliances and technology).
- Step Three: Categorize and organize. After that initial sweep of keep-junk-donate, it will be easier to organize your stuff into smaller categories: tools, keepsakes, outdoor equipment, decor, etc.
- Step Four: Invest in your garage. Your garage really can be a great place for storage—if you outfit it correctly. There are great shelving units, cabinets, slat-and-hook systems and more—like Garage Tek, storeWALL, and G-floor—out there for you to incorporate into your freshly-cleansed garage.
- Step Five: Reorganize. Once those new storage solutions are in place, it’s time to put everything back (now in it’s new, organized home).
ASSA ABLOY Entrance Systems is the premier source for garage doors & openers. From design, manufacturing, installation, and even service, ASSA ABLOY is the only garage door provider that is involved in every single step of your garage door’s life. This means that the ASSA ABLOY technicians truly are specialists. No one knows garage doors better, so trust no less than ASSA ABLOY for your home.