Destinations with an Adventurous Twist
For some of us, the perfect vacation involves finding a beach chair in the sun, endless buffets and bottomless drinks with umbrellas. But if that’s not your idea of a good time, there are plenty of healthy and active vacations to consider.
While spas are still a wonderful and rejuvenating way to spend your time, there are so many other ways to incorporate wellness into your next getaway. Hiking, biking, surfing, diving… the list is endless, and you don’t have to spend a fortune to make it happen.
Here are five great ideas for healthy lifestyle vacations:
- 1. US National Parks From Southern Utah to Northern California, from Alaska to North Carolina, 27 states boast 59 national parks offering natural beauty, unique geological features, unusual ecosystems and recreational opportunities. More than 52 million acres are protected by national parks in this country, and they are as diverse as the visitors they serve. This is where postcards can come to life, and there is truly no better way to experience the great outdoors. The most visited park is right here in our backyard: Great Smoky Mountains National Park is an ideal getaway for hiking, camping and experiencing one of America’s oldest mountain ranges.
- 2. Hawaii Say “aloha” to tropical exploration when you visit this gorgeous island paradise. Bike down a volcano in Maui, visit the Diamond Head Crater on Oahu, swim with the sharks in Kauai, hike through lava caves on the Big Island or play golf on a world famous Lanai golf course. There’s no end to the active adventures awaiting visitors in Hawaii.
- 3. Costa Rica This small Central American destination is synonymous with adventure and fun-filled vacations. From horseback riding to whitewater rafting, snorkeling to zip-lining, every day can be action-packed. Some beach towns and resorts even offer surf camp for ocean lovers looking for a new activity. Costa Rica, with it’s friendly residents, is an ideal family destination in the sun.
- 4. Skiing A vacation on the majestic slopes of a ski resort is one of the greatest ways to enjoy the winter outdoors. A full day of skiing is the best kind of total body workout and a wonderful way for families to bond, both on the slopes and afterwards in front of the fire. If you’re not a snow-lover, don’t ignore the opportunities that most ski resort areas offer in the summertime. These winter wonderlands are sometimes the most beautiful outdoor vacation spots in warmer months, too.
- 5. Cruising Yup, you read that correctly. Ocean cruising can be an active vacation if you want it to be. Cruise lines have invested heavily in their onboard gyms and spa facilities to keep exercising travelers happy while at sea. Then there’s a long list of action-packed excursions available to keep even the most active vacationers busy when your feet find land. If diving off the coast of Bonaire, glacier hiking in Alaska, quad biking through sand dunes in the Caribbean or jogging the Riviera coastline in Monte Carlo appeals to you, then cruising could be your ticket to a wonderful vacation.
Make sure you tell your vacation specialist the level of activity you are looking for during your next vacation so they can tailor your itinerary to your preferences. Mann Travels’ agents have the experience and expertise to find the perfect match for you and your adventurous spirit!
Roni Fishkin is the Marketing Director of Mann Travels which, with local ownership in Charlotte, has been serving travelers with personalized service for more than 35 years. 800-343-6266